Wednesday 12 August 2015

Nursing on the other side of the world

Moving across the world was a  huge task. Starting a new job was the easiest part!

I think in order to ease myself into my new life,the consistency of staying in Oncology was a great decision. The new ward was tertiary once again and was a little bigger with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. The magnitude of Australia really hit home during my fist few months. Patients would not only have this terrible diagnosis of 'cancer' but many had to leave their homes and families in order to receive treatment. The difference this time was, they often had to travel by plane and relocate their whole lives.
I struggled with the lack of facilities for teenagers after my previous experience and found it difficult to understand why babies and young people were nursed side by side. Teenage Cancer facilities in Australia are really only in their infancy and an area which is currently receiving a little attention,thank goodness.

Whilst the nursing was similar I did feel a little as if the holistic care I was used to was lacking.I was used to being much more 'hands on' with my patients and building relationships. Rightly or wrongly I missed this aspect of my day and found the lack of consistency in patient care frustrating.

I remember being astounded by the story of a little boy from an island off the coast of Australia. He had woken one morning unable to walk. His Dad put him in his little rowing boat and paddled for two days to take him to the nearest island with a hospital. From there he was transferred to a regional hospital and then to definitive care in Australia. He had a diagnosis of Rhabdomyosacrcoma. The families lack of visa meant they were unable to leave the hospital grounds. They had never seen electricity or had any experience of money. They'd sit for hours looking out over the city amazed by the enormity of it all. David relapsed whilst on treatment. We had to use a satellite phone at a pre-arranged time to tell his mum who was at home with his little brother. It took a week to get him home to die.

Another family sought treatment for their daughter with a brain tumour. They were completely disillusioned with the treatment in Aus so travelled overseas to seek help. All failed and they brought her home.They were angry. Unable to accept their daughter was dying. I looked after her with great care and respect-she was the same age as my daughter. Finally accepting there was no cure,they started to show me DVDs of her as a well little girl. They were lovely,happy family times. In one video she looked  straight at the camera ,waved and said ' bye bye mummy'. I apologised and left the room. I retreated to the linen cupboard once again and cried. On going back into the room I apologised and allowed them to know I had shed a few tears for them and their baby girl.. They were amazed and told the social worker all about the  nurse who cared their daughter was dying.

I went to her funeral and saw a picture of a little girl and her family I never knew. A girl who lived in the country,in a small town that loved her and raised $1000's in hope of finding a cure. A little girl who loved Spiderman.

I loved oncology but for many reasons,maybe to be discussed later, I decided to look for work nearer to home. This change in direction was totally unexpected. I left oncology for the world of general paeds and a new chapter began
.

No comments:

Post a Comment